Regarding ferry price calculations
Here you can find information regarding what determines the ferry price.
Ferry prices are calculated according to travel zone and type of vehicle
Due to the Corona Pandemic, the AutoPASS Regulation was implemented on all county road ferries in Møre og Romsdal in April 2020. Per the AutoPASS Regulation, all passengers travel without the collection of passenger ticket payment. However, for passengers traveling with a car or another type of vehicle, calculation of ferry travel price is based on ferry line travel distance and vehicle type.
The AutoPASS Regulation’s main provisions
Passengers traveling with vehicles pay for ferry travel dependent on ferry line travel distance and vehicle type. This is in conjunction with a price structure based on travel zones.
- Travel zone: Ferry travel zone calculations are based on the distance of travel by ferry. Each commenced kilometer of travel is calculated as a new zone. For example, if travel by ferry is 1.4 kilometers, this is calculated as 2 travel zones.
- Vehicle class: Vehicle fee is based on the class to which a vehicle belongs. The length of a vehicle and any cargo which a vehicle may be transporting is also included in the vehicle fee calculation. Vehicle fee is independent of how many passengers there are in a vehicle.
There are 9 vehicle classes, including any possible transported cargo. Additionally, there is a separate motorcycle class for motorcycles and mopeds.
All prices include VAT.
Additional information regarding ferry travel prices
The travel zone structure was adjusted in 2019
In 2019 the Advisory Transportation Committee passed a decision adjusting the travel zone structure for single travel by ferry based on new distance measurements. Certain transportation routes were adjusted resulting in single-zone increases or single-zone reductions. The adjustments became applicable as of the commencement of new ferry contractual agreements.
Reduced prices during the Corona pandemic
Ferry travel prices have been reduced due to the Corona Pandemic:
- In April the County Council passed a decision to reduce prices by 20%, reflecting reductions on national road ferries.
- In June the County Council passed a decision to extend the price reductions until the end of 2020. For national road ferry travel, the price reduction was valid until 01 July 2020.
- The National Parliament passed a decision to reduce VAT from 12% to 6% from 01 April 2020 until 31 December 2020.
- In June 2021 the County Council passed a decision to reduce prices by 25% from 01 July 2021.
- In June 2021, the National Parliament decided that VAT should be temporarily reduced from 12 per cent to 6 per cent, until and including 30 September 2021.
- From 1 October 2021 the value added tax is 12 percent again.
Here you can find the rates in the AutoPASS regulations which applies to the county road ferries.